Our April meeting...April 28, 2012 details below!
February Newsletter 2012
November Newsletter 2011
From Co-rep Valarie Pratt Poitier:
That’s all for November. See you soon at the next SAQA MA/RI regional meeting (To be announced on Monday, November 14th on the blog)
October Newsletter...you would have received this news via an email directly from SAQA.
I am still imputing the names of members on our blog…whew we have a large area. Please check for your name and if you want the link directed elsewhere send me a message. If you are a teacher, lecturer, have published a book let me know and I will highlight your name***. If you have news that missed this newsletter and is time sensitive please email me and I will put it on the blog.
As reps we are here to serve the MA/RI community and we need your help to do that in the manner you anticipated when you signed up or renewed your membership to SAQA. From those just joining us or new to making art quilts, to the most seasoned among us it is important to attend meetings at least twice a year.
Michele David and Valarie Poitier will be bringing the SAQA trunk show to Quilters' Connection on November 7 at the Arsenal Center for the Arts, 321 Arsenal Street, Watertown at 7:00 PM. In June of each year we hold our annual quilt show, also at the Arsenal Center for the Arts. All are invited; non-guild members pay $5.00.
Janice Jones won a Special Award at Images for her piece entitled: "City Cycling". It won the Judge's award and can be seen on the Images webpage.
An exhibition sponsored by the Textile Study Group of New York (TSGNY) - Crumpled
*Birds in Stitches, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY- Whispers of the Positive and Eagle Eye
November 4, 2011 to January 22, 2012
*Wichita National All Media
*The Space Between at International Quilt Festival
Long Beach, California
The Trees are Singing
September 1st – October 15th
This is a good opportunity to exhibit internationally. JHIA will publish a good quality exhibition catalogue. Paula Nadelstern will be one of the judges. The exhibition will be toured in Japan as well as in the US, Europe and Asia.
Details, and rules are on the website, and an entry form can be downloaded here: http://www.jhia.org/contest/entry02.html
DEADLINE: July 29, 2011
Art Quilt Portfolio: People and Portraits
By Martha Sielman
Lark Crafts is pleased to announce that Martha Sielman will be authoring the second volume in a new series of art quilt books. This book will focus on works that feature people and portraits—individuals or groups—that explore the human condition.
ELIGIBILITYThis opportunity is open to all quilt artists. Complete entry instructions are included on the form. http://www.larkcrafts.com/submit/calls-for-submissions/
· Lark Crafts accepts only digital images for submissions, submitted on a CD.
· Artists may submit up to 3 entries.
· Artists must also complete and submit an Entry Form and a Photo License Agreement.
· There is no fee for submission.
CALENDARJune 15, 2011 Call for Consideration OPENS
August 15, 2011 Call for Consideration DEADLINE
Early Fall 2011 Notification of acceptance via email
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMISSIONPlease use the entry forms (download entry form here) for consideration as either as Feature or Gallery artist. Please read the digital photography requirements carefully and adhere to them strictly.
More SAQA opportunities are available on the website under Calls for Entry.
We are looking forward to seeing you at future SAQA meetings!
Michele and Valarie
From: SAQA.com [mailto:Jeanne.firstname.lastname@example.org]
SAQA MA/RI March 2011 News
There will be 2 SAQA meetings this Saturday - one at the New England Quilt Museum, and one for Western MA members in Greenfield. Co-rep Jeanne Marklin will be holding the meeting at Cheryl Rezendes's studio in Greenfield. The meeting starts at 12. Please bring a piece of work to share with other members. If you have a hanging method that you would like to share with the group, bring an example. A bag lunch is a good idea, drinks will be provided. We need to chip in a couple of dollars toward the use of the studio. SAQA member Elizabeth Keyes of Ashfield is in a group exhibit in Greenfield. The gallery is open on Saturday from 11-2, so if you're coming to the meeting it would be great to see the show before the meeting. Elizabeth will be at the meeting so we will have a chance to ask her about the exhibit. Future Western MA meetings will be held on April 9 and May 7. All are welcome to attend!
In addition to holding our regional meeting, we will share upcoming news, in progress or completed art works, talk about what we are doing or teaching, plan our next area exhibit, meet the artists of the current exhibit, and to invite our guests to become members.
There were presentations by the exhibiting artists and Valarie in the No Holds Barred Exhibit on Jan. 29;
- Master Vol. 2 by Martha Sielman on Feb. 12, a preview of the upcoming book
- a slideshow, called "My Journey", by myself (C. Janey) on Feb. 19
- Wen Redmond did a demo of her Natural Print Making, called Plein Air Printing in Quilting Arts (Quilting Arts December 2010/January 2011), and a trunk show of her Artist Life on Mar. 5.
- Lastly, on March 19 will be our Regional Meeting, for this quarter, it is open to all all SAQA members and guests. The meeting begins at 10:00 AM with a Gallery walk planned for 1:00 pm. The Silent Auction will culminate this event on March 19.
- Elizabeth Keyes and her artist critique group — Rebecca Clark, Cynthia Fisher, Helen Haddad and Elizabeth Pols — will be showing their work at the Artspace Gallery in Greenfield, Massachusetts (15 Mill Street). “Four Seasons/ 5 Artists” will include prints, pastels, paintings, fiber art, mosaics, and sculpture. The show runs from March 8 to April 15. Gallery hours are Monday-Friday 1-6, Saturdays 11-2.
- Rebecca Fricke's piece "Ina's Legs" was accepted into the SDA's Northeast Regional Juried Contemporary Fiber Exhibition at Rochester Contemporary Art Center, April 1 - May 9. The opening reception is April 1, from 6-10 pm.
- "Not Sew Square", the Quilt exhibit at the Haley House Bakery and Cafe in Roxbury MA, features Sisters in Fiber, Celeste B. Janey, Brenda Jones, and Valarie P. Poitier was extended to March 17, 2011. They were featured in the Baystate Banner.
- Sally Mavor has some very impressive news about a major honor for her work, and a positive recognition of fiber art: "I’d like to share the good news that my new children’s book, Pocketful of Posies: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes, has won the Golden Kite Award for picture book illustration from the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. This is the first time that any kind of dimensional or textile art has won the Golden Kite. I will be traveling to SCBWI’s conference in Los Angeles in August to give an acceptance speech and teach a class on the joys and challenges of 3-d illustration."
- Nancy Crasco has a couple of announcements: m"I have work in the Surface Design Association's Regional Juried Show, "One Passion, Many Voices" at ARTworks!, 384 Acushnet Avenue, New Bedford. The exhibit is up through April 3. I am also teaching in two locales: An eight week, quilter friendly Design and Composition course at the Arsenal Center for the Arts in Watertown, MA on Saturday mornings from 10-12 from April 9 - June 11. For the brochure go to: http://www.arsenalarts.org/. A four day workshop entitled From the East, focusing on Asian textile construction, at Haystack in Deer Isle, ME from May 12-15th. For the brochure go to: http://mainecrafts.org/
- Susan McCraw's quilt "Fascinatin' Rhythm" was juried into the exhibit "Media, Materials and Meaning" at the Cambridge Art Association, 25 Lowell Street, Cambridge. The exhibit dates are March 8-29.
- Wen Redmond, one of the co-reps for SAQA ME/VT/NH, will be at booth 348 at Craft Boston from March 25-27. Ann Brauer will be vending there as well - a chance to stop by and say hello to two SAQA Art Quilters! The show is accessible from the Silver Line.
- Ann Brauer will be at the Paradise City Arts Festival this weekend in Marlborough.